According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), spring is the best time to detoxify the body—specifically the liver. The main reason is biologically, nature supports cleansing the body during the spring season. As spring approaches, most people will notice a marked change in their sleep and eating habits, as well as energy levels, mood, and even their senses. As these changes take place, the body’s organs are also ripe for change, so any efforts to detox the liver are enhanced.
According to TCM’s Five Element theory, the Liver is the organ predominant in spring. The Traditional Chinese Medicine World Foundation adds, “The Five Elements are a Universal template that organizes all natural phenomena into five master groups or patterns in nature. Each of the five groups—Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water—include categories such as a season, a climate, a stage of growth and development, an internal organ, body tissue, sense, sound, taste, color, emotion . . . the categories are limitless.”
The TCM World Foundation notes that “In terms of the Five Elements, the liver is related to the Wood element, which is associated with spring. This means that in springtime the liver can be impacted by the seasonal energy change.”
How to Detox the Liver This Spring
There are literally dozens of liver detox diets and products on the market today. Some are exceptional—others are not. The best thing you can do for yourself (especially if you are a beginner) is detox the natural way. However, if you do decide to use a body detox supplement, it’s ok. Simply check to make sure the supplement contains natural herbs and extracts, and other natural ingredients. Just a few natural liver detoxifying ingredients include:
- Angelica Root Extract (appears to increase the liver’s utilization of oxygen and it has also been shown to prevent the decrease of liver glycogen.)
- Broccoli Sprout Extract (contains sulforaphane, an isothiocyanate that induces phase II detoxification enzymes. These critical enzymes break down toxins into water-soluble forms for elimination.)
- Cayenne Pepper (spicy vegetable that is excellent at stimulating and decongesting the lymph system)
- Ginger Extract (stimulates circulation of the blood, while encouraging the kidneys to eliminate toxins)
- Milk Thistle (one of the most popular liver-detoxifying herbs, protects the liver from hundreds of toxins)
- Red Peony Root Extract (traditional Chinese herb used to promote blood & lymph circulation. Research has shown that red peony also protects the liver from the endotoxin D-galactosamine.)
- Schisandra Berry Extract (classic liver herb from Traditional Chinese Medicine)
To detox the body and cleanse the liver, consider incorporating the foods listed below into your diet. Many are rich in glutathione, which has the amazing ability to guide toxins out of the body. Abstain from alcohol, fatty foods, processed foods, and sugary treats. Replace them with the foods on our list + other fruits and vegetables. Add plenty of fresh water and you will notice significant changes in the body ranging from increased energy levels and sharper mental focus to clearer skin and even weight loss. Your immune system will receive a boost as well, so (long-term) you might notice that you won’t get sick as often.
Liver Detox Foods
- Brussels sprouts
- Garlic (fresh)
- Raw Tomatoes
Popular Detox Diets
- Fat Flush Diet
- Liver Cleansing Diet
- Martha’s Vineyard Diet Detox
- Master Cleanse Detox Diet (better known as the Lemonade Diet)
- Raw Food Diet
For more information about natural liver detox diets and liver cleansing, please visit WebMD.